The Data Science Section is the Society’s newest Section. Formed in 2017, it had its formal launch meeting in June and has contributed to a number of events this year, including the RSS conference.
The section is looking to fill four committee positions for 2018 and is looking for volunteers to support its planned programme of work that will include a series of one-day regional workshops.
The remit of the DSS is to be a professional body that represents data scientists in the UK.
The section will organise meetings for a broad range of attendees and generate outputs that are aimed at:
- Promoting good practice by addressing what good data science looks like (with exemplars) and what it does not look like.
- Promoting the statistical aspects of data science / re-enforcing the statistical framework
- Being a trusted voice on data science for employers, including inputting to consultation exercises
- Supporting the data science community throughout the UK
- Supporting the pipeline and career development of data scientists and statisticians by elevating skill sets to work in the modern world
- Supporting important emerging topics such as ethics, privacy, algorithmic responsibility and personalisation - lifting the quality of the conversation
- Fostering multi-disciplinary connections and the exchanging of ideas.
The Section is keen to attract applicants that represent the diversity of the data science community.